ADFS 3.0 Cannot start service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID
This week I had a problem installing Windows ADFS 3.0, on a Server 2012 R2 server.
This server was also a Domain controller. Unfortunately there was no possibility to install ADFS on an other server.
During the installation I received this error, over and over again;
Cannot start service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID on computer ‘.’.
Clicking on ‘Show more’ reveals no understandable error .
Go into the services, and look for the Windows Internal Database.
Tried starting the service manual
Then I received an error which showed the real problem.
I tried several settings for giving ‘logon as a service’ rights to several account, but nothing worked.
To work around the issue, use one of the following methods:
Assign the Log on as a service user right to NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES in the GPO that defines the user right.
Exclude the computer from the GPO that defines the user right.
This flow did the trick for me, and can be used as a work around :
- Reboot the server
- Open the services (services.msc)
- Scroll down until you see services named Windows …
- Start the Post deployment process all over, in the Server manager dashboard.
- Switch over to services
- Continue hitting F5 until the Windows Internal Database service shows up.
- Double click the Windows Internal Database service
- Go to the Log On tab
- Select local system account
- Start the service
- Wait until the ADFS installation is finished.
More info about this:
It is not recommended to install the ADFS service role on a domain controller. The preferred method is to install this on a different server. Only install this service role on a domain controller, if you realy sure you don’t have another server available. This is stated on this Microsoft Technet page :